Hi John,

On Apr 21, 6:31 am, John Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This alpha release of Sage closed 19 tickets (on top of 4.4.alpha0).

[...]

> Problems building cddlib on either a mixed-platform Fedora 10 machine
> (64- bit machine in a 32-bit NFS environment) or on t2.math (Solaris).
>  There is a new spkg available which might fix this, but it needs
> review:
>
>   <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8730>
>
> This seems to fix my build problem on t2.math, but (with apologies to
> the author), it looks like a rather dangerous hack.

Why would you think it is dangerous? All I proposed is to tell the
cddlib's configure where (namely, in SAGE_LOCAL) to look for shared
libraries and headers.
Yes, I know that Dave (Kirkby) would quote a libtool developer here,
who says that having several libraries with the same name is
dangerous. Well, avoiding the trouble boils down to imposing
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to not have such and such things in it, at least on
the user side.
Quite a few spkg's do exactly this, look for libraries and headers in
SAGE_LOCAL...
If one does not allow this (i.e. replacing a system library with oen
provided by Sage), a huge number of tricky changes need to be
implemented.

Best,
Dima

[...]