> When on builds 'sympow', a directory  $SAGE_LOCAL/lib/sympow is made, and
> the file 'sympow' executable copied there:
>
> drkir...@hawk:~/sage-4.4.2$ ./local/lib/sympow/sympow
> sympow 1.018 RELEASE  (c) Mark Watkins --- see README and COPYING for
> details
>

> It seems a strange decision to copy an executable into a directory under
> 'lib' - I would have expected such a file to be copied to $SAGE_LOCAL/bin.
>
> Not that I guess it makes a huge difference, but it's a bit of an
> unconventional place to put an executable program.

Hi,

sympow is a weird program. Not really completely standard. The problem
is the datafiles folder for the data generated by sympow must be in the
same folder as the one containing the executables and the sympow scripts.
Which is a lot of fun when sympow is installed as root.
In debian (and in gentoo) we elected to move the executable in
/usr/share/sympow and install a script in /usr/bin/ to execute sympow in the
proper place.
No idea why the current scheme was chosen in sage, because of the datafiles
you obviously don't want to put everything into $SAGE_LOCAL/bin.

Francois