On May 25, 3:05 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:02 PM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> changelog, where it will scroll off the bottom and be forgotten. I'd
>
> > This is my main point, as well as for those who in the future will
> > just be learning hg and find going the right directory etc.
> > difficult.
>
> sage -hg log |more
>
> ??

Example:

r-2.10.1.p1

Changes for .p0:

hg log version

changeset:   33:66f45042d4b4
user:        David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>
date:        Tue Feb 16 20:54:03 2010 +0000
summary:     #8285 Update R's spkg-install to work on Solaris

SPKG.txt version

=== r-2.10.1.p0 (David Kirkby, February 16th 2010) ===
 * Several items all covered by #8285
 * Added the undocumented option "--without-ICU" on Solaris,
   as that allows R to build - otherwise it fails. I suspect the
   ideal solution would be to add the ICU library from
   http://site.icu-project.org/
   but this option does allow R to build.
 * Ensure SAGE64 will add the -m64 option on any platform,
   not just OS X as before.
 * Removed all references to the option --with-iconv=no,
   as R needs iconv now - it is no longer optional - see
 * Implement a test for X on Solaris, as the previous test in
   spkg-install would always fail on Solaris, as Solaris
   lacks the header file checked for, despite the fact X
   support works fine. So now I check for a library on Solaris.

Are you really suggesting that the commit message should be this
long?  Maybe they should be!  But I've never seen one that long in
Sage, so at least there is a defacto rule that commit message are
short short short.  This sort of thing should be somewhere, and to be
honest having it all in one place is very nice.  I agree that other
messages I've seen (both in SPKG.txt or commit messages) are less
informative.

And I reiterate that I recall somewhere a suggestion on sage-devel
that commit messages should be one line long.  Does no one else
remember that?  Or did it mean it should not have any carriage
returns, but be as long as it wants (in which case this was not clear
at all)?

- kcrisman