On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM, François Bissey
<f.r.bis...@massey.ac.nz> wrote:

>> > I agree with that point of view.
>> > I have had lots of thoughts about the issue since the thread came up
>> > and my personal conclusion is that getting rid of simple text log will be
>> > a barrier to entry.
>>
>> Your arguments would also suggest that any of the Sage repositories should
>> have their logs in a text file as well.  Should the main Sage Python
>> library!?  Should the
>> local/bin/ repository have a text file?
>>
> I think you are heating up and pushing our argument in a direction which we
> would have considered silly.

I don't understand why it is silly.  It seems like doing exactly the
same thing to me.

> You obviously feel very strongly about this.

Actually, I don't.

> Our point is that the new blood you are looking for will have to come with a
> knowledge of mercurial if they want to know what's going on.

I agree.

> If in spkg.txt, or even in the README file at the top level, there are easy to
> follow instructions on how to extract useful info from mercurial log that may
> not be so bad.

That's a great idea.

In fact, I learned some things in this thread about how to use the hg log.

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics