>> http://wiki.sagemath.org/AutoToolsSEP
>
> One problem with that is that too many packages in Sage do not honor
> things like CC, MAKE, CXX. Cython misbehaves if CFLAGS set.

What does that have to do with autotools? If the subpackages misbehave
then one has to provide proper fixes with or without autotools, right?

> So any hope of using autoconf/automate and thinss working as those
> packages intend will fail. So you will never get a conventional
> autoconf/automake build process.

Right!
Computers will *never* be able to deal with anything but numbers.
Of course sage might never have autotools. Not because it doesn't work,
but rather because some people hear autotools and are already against.

Sage builds gnutls and mpir as standard spkgs. Both of them use
autotools. Why haven't you realized it? And why will no user ever
realize it?

> It would probably be even more confusing, as people would expect Sage
> to build like other packages.

Exactly, I expect, "./configure && make && make install". Who wouldn't?

Ralf