On 06/14/10 01:17 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
On 06/14/10 12:18 PM, Tim Joseph Dumol wrote:

As for Cython and gcc, the Sage notebook uses pure Python. I do
acknowledge that there's a minuscule chance that a Python update could
change runtime behaviour.

But what is used to build python? - gcc of course! So we have *at least*
the following possibilities which could result in a problem.

* gcc update
* python update
* someone patching python (it is already at patch level 8 or so in Sage)
* operating system update
* port to another platform (Cygwin, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD are all
being worked on.)
* someone's computer may be mis-configured.

I should have also considered anything that is needed to build python, could change the behavior of python. That includes

 * zlib - which will be updated in 4.4.4.alpha1
 * termcap
 * readline
 * sqlite
 * gnutls
 * libpng

Some I accept are unlikely, but none are impossible.

Is there *any* other motivation for removing this from the testing,
apart from increasing the percentage of doctest coverage?

That I feel is the most important question.

If not, it
boils down to sacrificing quality for better looking statistics.

Which is what I think we are doing.

Dave