From: Karim Belabas <karim.bela...@math.u-bordeaux1.fr>
Date: Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [sage-devel] Re: Bug: Elliptic Curve Point Counting
To: William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>

* William Stein [2010-03-30 01:21]:
> We want to upgrade Sage to use a much more recent version of PARI.
> What version should we chose???

Hi William, sorry for the delay. I have been very sick and have had trouble
catching up.

As for your question, first have a look at
 http://www.math.u-bordeaux.fr/~belabas/pari/doc/faq.html#whatversion

1) you should include pari-2.3.5 in Sage 4 (fixes a number of problems
were reported by SAGE users such as John Cremona).

2) І wanted to release pari-2.5.0-stable (= current pari-2.4-HEAD
 testing) this summer but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it now. Fall
at the latest.

3) I do not know your schedule for Sage 5, but I advise to try and
move to the pari-2.4 branch (svn HEAD, pari-2.5-to-be). And of course
report any problems you have that we could solve on our side; it will
also help us assess and possibly fix backward compatibility problems.

You will not waste your time : the stability of the C API is guaranteed
at this point. *Except* if you start using the POSIX threads interface,
which I don't think you should at this point : we have a number of
uncommitted patches parallelizing integer factorization, bnfinit() and a
few other routines using OpenMPI (yielding the expected linear speedup),
and that forces us to define a higher level interface incorporating
OpenMPI and POSIX threads...

Cheers,

   K.B.

--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite Bordeaux 1          Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics