> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 01:10:25 -0700
>
> Mike Hansen <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think it's feasible to carry out William's proposal with
> > conditional patches.  I'm +1 on including GNU patch in Sage.
>
> I also vote YES to including patch in Sage.
>
> I would like to see some more standardization in how the patches are
> created and applied though. Perhaps the Gentoo people can help here,
> since the Gentoo build system provides wrappers to patch to eliminate
> common errors:
>
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/epatch/inde
> x.html

You called?
Well yes, in ebuild we don't use the patch command directly. The wrapper
is part of an "eclass" (a collection of bash utilities, we have several of
these grouped by common tasks or functionality). The epatch wrapper
can even use compressed patches (not very useful for sage).
I am not sure a wrapper would be useful in sage but if it could save
repeating code or errors it could be worth it.

Francois