On 07/20/10 07:42 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
On 2010-Jul-19 23:20:40 +0100, "Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:

So if I understand you correctly,

SAGE_NUM_THREADS=10

would set 10 threads globally in Sage, but

SAGE_NUM_THREADS_ATLAS=1

would override the 10 to 1 (single threaded) for just ATLAS. Have I got you
correct? If so, that sounds an excellent idea.

In general, yes, except I was thinking that it would be
   SAGE_NUM_THREADS_atlas=1
(ie using $PKG_BASE). This means the override would be something like:
   eval FOO="\${SAGE_NUM_THREADS_$PKG_BASE:-$SAGE_NUM_THREADS}"

Note that I haven't looked at the detail of specifically implementing
this, I've just seen this approach to eval'd variables used elsewhere.

Thank you. I personally think that is good.

ATLAS does have three options

1) Automatically set the number of threads at compile time - this is the default for ATLAS.

2) Set the number of threads at compile time to a specific integer value.

3) Disable a threaded build - this is what is currently happening in Sage.

so perhaps using "auto" might be a sensible option for SAGE_NUM_THREADS_atlas.

Does anyone else have a comment on this?

Dave