I have a quick question that is related to engineering support (I was
reading the document you posted on the wiki about sd24, and I see the
roadmap is planning to address those issues for SAGE 7.0.. ouch!): I
don't know exactly how this is achieved, but I can see that

sage: type(1)
<type 'sage.rings.integer.Integer'>

this should come from the fact that the preparser replaces usual
numbers with sage numerical types.
Nonetheless, still we have:

sage: type([1,2,3])
<type 'list'>

This means that list are not replaced by anything internal, even if
they are collector of python objects which are still sage numbers. I
wonder which is the policy of SAGE towards arrays and matrices. I
think there is a good base in numpy and scipy, so I wonder if it would
make sense to let the preparser transform any list of numbers into a
numpy array. That would greatly improve user ergonomy in case of raw
numbers manipulation.
That could be a not-default option, that could be activated using a
function like:

def numpy_mode(str):
    if str == 'on':
         from numpy import *
         "turn any list into a numpy array"
    elif str == 'off':
         "reverse behaviour"

[I'm just talking on top of my head]

Another slightly related issue is: could we make
plot(numpy.array([1,2,3,4])) behave like
list_plot(numpy_array([1,2,3,4]))? The way it is now, it just doesn't
work...

The reason I'm doing this is that I assume a big income of users when
the windows port is ready (soon) and maybe there are a lot of non-
mathematicians among them.

Could it be that it make sense to create a wiki page with all the
desiderata about SAGE/engineering? Maybe that may help in the long
run, like the one I created for the physical units package! I can see
that other scientists are in this community, I'm wondering if they may
help, being even more experienced in contributing to SAGE.

Cheers

Maurizio