> I just tried to build Sage, and got a failure with building IML. See log
> here.
>
> http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/iml-1.0.1.p12.log
>
> As soon as I restarted "make" again, so the build completed ok.
>

> On thing I did do, was reverse the order of the list of items listed under
> 'all' in deps. i.e.
>
> all: $(BASE) \
>       $(INST)/$(ZODB) \
>       $(INST)/$(ZNPOLY) \
>       $(INST)/$(ZLIB) \
>       $(INST)/$(WEAVE) \
>       $(INST)/$(TWISTED) \
>       $(INST)/$(TERMCAP) \
>       $(INST)/$(TACHYON) \
>       $(INST)/$(SYMPY) \
>       ...etc etc
>       $(INST)/$(ATLAS)
>
> instead of the previous
>
> all: $(BASE) \
>       $(INST)/$(ATLAS) \
>       $(INST)/$(BLAS) \
>       $(INST)/$(BOEHM_GC) \
>       $(INST)/$(BOOST_CROPPED) \
>       $(INST)/$(CDDLIB) \
>       $(INST)/$(CEPHES) \
>       $(INST)/$(CLIQUER) \
>       ... etc etc
>       $(INST)/$(ZODB)
>
> This was an attempt to change the build order, with a hope of finding
> problems with 'deps'. However, that log does not look like a failure
> because of a dependency missing. In fact, I've no idea what the error is.
> But I do know it cleared up as soon as I typed "make" again.
>
> The system is a Sun Ultra 27, 3.33 GHz quad core, 8 threads. OpenSolaris
> 06/2009. 1000 (yes) 1000 threads were used.
>
> This was a parallel build of packages.

Looks like a parallel make issue, which is why it worked when you restarted
make.
Some of the objects used probably weren't ready yet and their build completed
after the building of these 2 particular objects died.
So when you restarted it was fine. Cannot really inspect that in depth right
now.

Francois