*sigh*
And I bludgeon the solution out the very next night.
Here is how I got the optional package automap to install into a
binary sage R.

Go into the sage directory and edit the following files:
local/bin/R and local/lib/R/bin/R
and change all the hard-set user variables "/scratch/...." to the true
locations of R_HOME_DIR, R_HOME, R_INCLUDE_DIR, R_SHARE_DIR and for
good measure, R_DOC_DIR. Replace the default string EVERYWHERE in the
file.

I then exported SAGE_HOME as well (Not sure that this is needed.), and
run local/bin/R

Inside R, install.packages("automap")

No more build errors, and when I restart R, automap loads using
library. Just have to try it out from sage now.
Any chance there's a script to find all of these hard-set strings and
change them to correct values?

Joal Heagney