On 08/ 7/10 04:48 AM, Mitesh Patel wrote:

We're in the *very* early stages of developing a new doctesting API at

Unifying sage-test and sage-ptest does make sense.

I'm not over-impressed with the current system. I've had tests fail with zero failures and all many of other inconsistencies. Run make ptestlong and one gets a failure. Run the test from the command line and it passes. I've no idea why. I've seen a comment from I believe Dan on one of the tickets that ptest has some alful code in it.

Also useful would be if the data and time of the test was recorded. Then if a failure does occur, one could look at the system log files and see if there was an I/O problem, running out of swap space or similar. Just make sure it's done in a portable way.

Other useful things would be to have at the very least the host name and operating system stored. Perhaps once at the top, and once in the summary to record that information.

I'd personally like to see some way of testing Sage from the browser interface. I've posted a maxima example before, where one of the examples in the Sage manaual was incredibly badly formatted (unusable) in the browser front end, yet that same doctest has passed. That however would need a totally different approach - a non-trivial one at that! But perhaps the ability to run the test scripts from inside the Sage session would go some way to resolve this.