I've finally cracked the SYMPOW issue.

I've these this now on
 * OpenSolaris
 * Linux
 * OS X
 * Solaris 10 (SPARC)

Mike tested almost identical code on Cygwin, and reported all tests passed. I've pasted all the doc test results in the ticket, so you can see it is not just compiling, but working fully too.

I want to emphasise a point I made on the ticket. I want the review to be based on what changes I've made to SYMPOW and not what changes may be desirable. I've recently had a trivial change to a package gets stalled when other quite reasonable changes were suggested by the reviewer. But in this case, I am drawing a line, as I do not want to try to resolve the multiple issues with this package.

I don't know if sage 4.6 is going to be an exclusively Pari release, but if not, it would be really good to get #9703 and #9735 merged, as then there are two new complete ports, where all doc tests pass

 * Solaris 10 x86 (32-bit)
 * OpenSolaris x86 (32-bit).

Anyway, I better wait until #9703 is reviewed before thinking too much about two new ports of Sage.

I must say, as much as I think the code in SYMPOW leaves a lot to be desired, I did learn something from this. Spent a few hours with my head stuck in an old book I had - The Intel 80387 Programmers Reference Manual. Many years ago I recall writing 80387 assembly code to produce the Mandelbrot set!

Dave