On Sep 7, 2010, at 03:09 , Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

Hello sage-devel,

As far as we know, there are no more remaining issues for the PARI
update (#9343).  We haven't had any doctest failures for a while now.
The main issues recently have been with PARI not compiling properly on
various machines, but all those seem to be fixed now.

I have made a complete Sage distribution sage-4.6.prealpha4, based on
sage-4.5.3.rc0 with the new PARI and some more updates.  You can
download it from
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/jdemeyer/dist/sage-4.6.prealpha4.tar

I used your instructions.

Built from scratch on Mac OS X, 10.5.8 (Dual Quad Xeon) with no problems. Testing had one failure:

sage -t  -long devel/sage/sage/interfaces/ecm.py
*** *** Error: TIMED OUT! PROCESS KILLED! *** ***

         [1800.2 s]

I ran this command again, and it completed successfully in ~14 seconds. This system doesn't sleep, and the only unusual entries in the system logs were a couple of "out of paging space" messages.

The messages were logged at 7:58 last night. The failure was the last test in the test log, and the timestamp on the log file was 8:42 last night, so there is a gun which, while not actually smoking, is warm [*].

Would the 'ecm.py' test generate a lot of temp data? Would any other test? Something must have chewed up a lot of temp/paging space, either by creating lots of data files or by having lots of bloated processes running. My temp-space/paging disk has about 100GB of available space, so to get the "out of paging space" message is a bit surprising.

Justin

[*] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_Is_a_Warm_Gun>

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income