Sorry, I thought I had sent this earlier.

On Sep 11, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Dan Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 at 10:13AM -0700, kcrisman wrote:
>> It is.  I've also been testing this - you should try out the very
>> latest version:
>> http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/iandrus/
>> There are still a few things to work out, but what we need are
>> *TESTERS* to track down dumb bugs (such as one I found when I tried
>> out a previous version).  Try this again with the latest one, and I'm
>> sure he can fix it if it breaks still.
>
> I downloaded and started the app. The notebook browser started, and I
> clicked on a worksheet -- and got an Internal Server Error. In the logs,
> I see this:
>
> Please wait while the Sage Notebook server starts...
> 2010-09-11 14:06:38+0900 [-] Log opened.
> 2010-09-11 14:06:38+0900 [-] twistd 9.0.0 (/tmp/sage-mac-app/local/bin/python
> 2.6.4) starting up.
> 2010-09-11 14:06:38+0900 [-] reactor class:
> twisted.internet.selectreactor.SelectReactor.
> 2010-09-11 14:06:38+0900 [-] twisted.web2.channel.http.HTTPFactory starting
> on 8000
> 2010-09-11 14:06:38+0900 [-] Starting factory
> <twisted.web2.channel.http.HTTPFactory instance at 0x9af2e18>
> 2010-09-11 14:07:05+0900 [HTTPChannel,6,127.0.0.1]
> /tmp/sage-mac-app/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/Twisted-9.0.0-py2.6-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py:262:
>  exceptions.DeprecationWarning: Don't pass strings (like 'Bad token') to
> failure.Failure (replacing with a DefaultException).
> 2010-09-11 14:07:05+0900 [HTTPChannel,6,127.0.0.1] Exception rendering:
> 2010-09-11 14:07:05+0900 [HTTPChannel,6,127.0.0.1] Unhandled Error
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>        Failure: twisted.python.failure.DefaultException: Bad token

Hmm.  I don't know what that might be.  That's the notebook server about which
I know depressingly little.  Is it reproducible?  Did it only happen the first
time?  Unfortunately the file and line given is completely unhelpful to me :-(

Is this what you saw Jason?

> In the preferences, when I select "iTermApplescript" (why not just
> iTerm?)

An excellent question, for which I have no satisfactory answer other than
that's the way I wrote it.  :-)  I'll change it.

> the drop-down won't close and I can't hit Apply to apply the
> changes.

I think that should be fixed in the latest version.  Did you download your
version more than a day ago?  If not, then I don't know.  Is there anything in

> In the "About" box, it says SAGE_VERSION instead of giving a version.

That gets replaced during the sage -bdist process.  It may be possible to
change this on startup (though I doubt it would be clean), but I haven't done
so.  Alternately I suppose we could version it separately from Sage, but I
think that might be confusing.  But since you can use a different version of
Sage with the same Sage.app, that might also be confusing.

Any thoughts on what the version of Sage.app should represent?

> When I closed all the windows related to Sage, it still has this weird
> blue bar left in the middle of my screen -- like a text entry box that's
> one line high and about 20 characters wide. I can't move it or do
> anything with it.

I think that is related to the drop down problem.

> Also, what's with the bundled browser? Any Mac will have Safari, which
> is a very nice browser, so why not just use that? Using an
> already-installed browser might also make it more clear to people that
> the Sage notebook is network-transparent.

Some people (okay probably just me) want to have a completely separate app for
Sage.  Something that can be quit and Cmd-tab'd to etc.  It feels more like a
regular Mac application to me.  But since no one wants this, the default was
changed to be the system browser a few days ago.

> I like the idea behind this version of the OS X Sage application; having
> all that basic information in menus is nice, although I'm perhaps not
> the best person to test this, since 95% of my Sage use involves opening
> a terminal and typing "sage".

There was some consensus that there was too much in the menus, so it was pared
down to what was considered "important".  Let me know if there is anything
useful that is missing from the latest version.

The latest version can be found (prebuilt) at
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/iandrus/
or as a patch at

-Ivan