On 10/25/10 08:35 AM, koffie wrote:
Are you testing all doctest (ie also the long ones) since it could be
that some long doctests have been tagged as such in an update.

Then there is ofcourse still the possibility that there was a merge
off a ticket which improves general sage performance.

The recently proposed regresion testing package would have been
usefull right now :).

Kind regards,
Maarten Derickx

Yes,

I always run 'make ptestlong' but have noticed the testing time has fallen from around 1800 s to around 1600 s.

My OpenSolaris machine is a buildbot slave. If you look at the test time for the latest buildbot

http://build.sagemath.org/sage/builders/hawk%20full/builds/8/steps/shell_6/logs/stdio

it is 1566 seconds. Yet I once tested Sage 100 times in a loop, and know it was taking around 1800 s to test then. I think its dropped by around 200 seconds, though I can't precisely pin down when the change occurred.

It would be useful if we could collect some statistics on the time to run the tests on certain hardware, though of course we need to look at CPU time, not wall time, as the latter will change with system load. But I know my system was idle(ish) when tests were taking 1800 s.

I always tend to have VirtualBox running, which does eat up a bit of CPU time, but I have that running now and still the tests are taking 200 s less at least some previous versions of Sage

Dave