On Oct 27, 1:05 pm, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 27 Okt., 05:54, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Being able to get Sage as a part of PyPI would be great!
> > Taking into account how many of Sage spkgs are there, e.g. cython,
> > scipy, networkx, cvxopt,
> > this looks like the right way of factoring
> > out components that are just packaged into Sage.
> > At the moment just keeping apace with the latter
> > components is taking a large chunk of developers time.
>
> Well, if all of their spkg-installs would just do
> "cd src && python setup.py install"...
>
> Also, upgrading a Python package frequently requires changing other
> parts of Sage.

Sure, but this would at least remove the burden of actually upgrading
the corresponding spkg.
And this burden seems to be extreme. CVXOPT upgrade saga is a good
example of what I mean; somehow after a year and hundreds of comments
on the corresponding ticket Sage still distributes CVXOPT 0.9.8, not
CVXOPT 1.1.3. And this given the fact that there is about 1, yes, one
doctest where CVXOPT is required, and about one function in Sage that
uses it
(and this function isn't even affected by such an upgrade!).

On the other hand, if an upgrade of FOO on PyPI broke PyPI-Sage, one
could pin the right version of FOO to be used, as far as I know....