On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:34 AM, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 1 Nov., 07:51, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This post is about:
>>
>>    (1) Concern about distutils/setuptools/etc., is misplaced.
>>    (2) Python3 and librarifying Sage.
>>
>> First, all this discussion about distutils/setuptools/david
>> cournapeau, etc., is actually mostly IRRELEVANT to making the core
>> Sage library into a standalone library.
>
> That's an argument (honestly). Distutils/Setuptools is broken (or
> weird), so we don't [have to] use it.
> Not very "pythonic" though, I guess... ;-) (but nobody should be
> forced to drive with broken wheels)

I don't quite agree with this interpretation.       Even if
setuptools/distutils were "perfect" they would not be the right tool
for building those 24 libraries.  The right tool is a Python script
that calls the native build system on each of those 24 libraries
(e.g., which is autoconf, perl, etc.).

>>  [...]
>>  2. A function in setup.py builds all the non-standard C/C++ libraries
>> that the core Sage library depends on, which is the following 24
>> libraries:
>>
>> boost-cropped   givaro          libm4ri         mpir            ratpoints
>> cliquer         gsl             libpng          ntl
>> eclib           iml             linbox          pari            singular
>> ecm             lcalc           mpfi            polybori        symmetrica
>> flint           libfplll        mpfr            pynac           zn_poly
>> [...]
>
> I'd prefer having plain text files rather than a pickled build_db.

Thank you for looking at the code.

It is just a pickled pure python dictionary, which is flexible and
easy to work with.

> Adding (formal) dependency specifications to the spkgs (a file, say,
> spkg-deps in each spkg) would be a step forward, too, such that we can
> also *generate* the "real Makefile" spkg/standard/deps in the
> traditional build process.

There's no deps file in what I'm doing.  Also, among these 24
libraries the dependencies are nearly trivial.  Basically, many depend
on MPIR, some on NTL, and beyond that there is nothing (?).

> (In addition, a lot of what's currently performed in every spkg-
> install could be factored out.)

True, but orthogonal.

--
William Stein