On 10/27/10 07:04 AM, Geoff Ehrman wrote:
Other than investigating the errors listed on
http://wiki.sagemath.org/freebsd/sage-4.5 and in Trac, what can I do to help
with the porting effort and is there someone coordinating this effort?

--
Geoff Ehrman
Graduate Student

As Dan Drake said, Peter Jeremy has done a lot of the work on this, so he is the best person to ask.

As Dan also noted, I've done a lot of porting - mainly to Solaris, though I have taken brief looks at AIX and HP-UX too. So I have some idea of the problems in porting Sage.

Sage operates a system of review, where ones changes have to be checked by someone else. What I found is often the biggest headache is getting someone to review a change, when it's not easy for them to check it. It speeds things up immensely if two people will work on a port. If only one person is, it becomes very slow.

So some suggestions I'd make would be

1) Contact Peter and make him aware of your interests.

2) Go to the trac server

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/

and search for any FreeBSD patches that might need reviewing.

This is my best attempt at a custom search showing only those with the component FreeBSD

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/query?group=component&component=FreeBSD&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority

However, a more general search might reveal others.

Note however you need to check the code works at least on Linux, Solaris and OS X too.

There are a few that look quite easy to fix.

3) Try the latest development release of Sage

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.6.rc0/

and open trac tickets for any issues which are not already documented on the server. Since the port has been a bit stagnent recently, its possible there are issues which are not noted on the trac server, as they were introduced in recent Sage releases.

I suspect if you and Peter can work together on this, you will make progress 100x faster than either one of you working on it, because of the review process.

Dave