On Nov 4, 10:51 am, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 4 November 2010 15:46, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>
> > On 11/4/10 10:43 AM, David Kirkby wrote:
>
> >> It looks smoother, but does not change the fundamental problem
>
> > I agree.  I guess one way to deal with the problem is to subdivide the space
> > like the implicit_plot3d function does.  Another way is to use the adaptive
> > plotting (which presumably slices up triangles as needed), but as you saw,
> > that currently has a NaN issue that prevents it from working.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Jason
> It might be worth adding 1.1 or somthing like that so the result is
> always positive and never complex. That might avoid NAN's, but again
> does not solve the problem. But it might indicate where it is.
>
> Dave

I wonder if the numpy functions for converting NaN numbers to numbers
would be of help.
see numpy.nan_to_num().  If 'nan' then  0; 'inf' (infinity) -> some
really huge number
http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List_With_Doc#head-c98ac710ae88aadee85e953af821e560ab316ef3

I also notice that the traceback includes these two lines of code at
the end
                           span = (len(texture)-1) / (max_z -
min_z)    # max to avoid dividing by 0
--> 777             parts = P.partition(lambda x,y,z: int((z-
min_z)*span))

If we want to still preserve nan, there are min and max functions in
numpy designed to handle nan (ie ignore nan values)  Maybe those could
be of use too (for min_z and max_z).