On 11/ 6/10 10:25 PM, William Stein wrote:

I think it would be wonderful to have a fast implementation of
computing the number primes up to x, which is freely available,
especially given the central role that the Riemann Hypothesis (which
is a statement about pi(x)) has in mathematics.  It's sad that there
seem not to be any free modern fast implementations available (?).

That said, I've advised two strong math students on projects to
implement code to compute pi(x), and I would not be optimistic about
an undergrad doing this as a project, unless they have a really
unusually strong mathematical background, and excellent C/Cython
programming skills.

  -- William

I'm not sure if the student asking was an undergrad or postgrad. We tend to use the terms different here in the UK to the US.

The original poster said:

"I am currently a senior computer science student with a strong math background. One of my professors, Dana Ernst, also a member here, recommended that I post here. I am looking for a senior project involving programing, algorithms, parallel processing, and mathematics."

I've no idea where that fits in.

Anyway, it was just one suggestion.

Dave