for reference: I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on a quad core, 2.6.35-22-generic

1. This is not an issue with select.  This is an issue with the low_latency
pty stuff that Simon mentioned.  I tested this by modifying pexpect to use
true nonblocking io (ie set the child_fd to O_NONBLOCK, and then just read()
and ignore EAGAIN), and there still was a delay before read would return
something other than EAGAIN.

2. There's nothing wrong with the singular interface.

3.  Possible fix: for singular and gap (and anything else that doesn't need
a full tty, ie doesn't use fancy screen stuff like top), perhaps we should
use subprocess.Popen(... stdout=PIPE, stdin=PIPE, stderr=PIPE) and then
communicate through the pipes.  There shouldn't be any latency.  I'm
currently modifying pexpect to do this and will report my findings.

 - Alex