OK, I found the lack of evaluation on <shift enter>.
On a "FRESH" system when sage notebook() is entered
on the terminal screen a requester pops up asking for
a new password and VERY SOON after that
the browser window overlays it.
It is easy to miss the new password requester,
obviously I did on Friday.
Newbies are tempted to quickly make a new worksheet,
type 2+2 into a cell, press <shift enter> to see if it works, etc.

Is there a way to make the password requester pop up in
some opposite corner of the screen and/or make the browser
avoid that screen space ?

Also, the first example of 3d plotting in the tutorial is my
quick and dirty little test of the java run time environment.

x, y = var('x,y')
plot3d(x^2 + y^2, (x,-2,2), (y,-2,2))

It throws a yellow background with a link to the java site.
Once I got my network connection set up that worked,
but on my standalone UBUNTU (and those within Virtual Box)
I have found it simplest to install the weird package with
synaptic package manager - icedtea, etc.
I think it would be good if you could include a jre.

I need to put the .iso image onto a USB memory
card so I can write back my setup.