> Emil,
> I am the ABSOLUTE NOVICE here, so wherever is deemed appropriate
> to hold it is fine with me.
> If there is a sage-pre-alpha-test discussion group that would probably
> be most appropriate (-:

I think it is a different matter. It is not about pre-alpha. Because
sage -testall
passes on the system (it throws one error from the preparser, but this
is because
gcc is not included in the base distribution). Anyway the included
sage consists just of the current
ubuntu binaries, so this should be fine.

It's more about politics. And which distribution methods to support
and
which not. I agree - its a bit "out of the box". Maybe its for sage-
marketing?

> By the way, I do TRUST Virtual Box. (VMware player ?, not so much)
> It has provided very good isolation of UBUNTU virtual machines under
> Windows Vista
> and I have been able to build Sage from source within one.
> It just needs enough memory, I am using 2900 or so meg and Vista
> isn't running TOO badly.

Well I use Sage live with 1 GB Ram, and it runs smoothly.

> My keyboard is generic USA, locale settings USA, std defaults.

I reallz don't know whats wrong here. I tried the us setting, but shift
+enter works flawlesslz on my install.
Does the evaluate link work though?

> My comment about MBR corruption was inappropriate at best.

I think the comments were perfectly appropriate and valid, because I
didn't really stated what method I use.
And I think the worries about breaking an existing system are serious
concerns.
I am just 1 person and it worked for me (on 2 different machines now).
My opinion is that this is a very
easy possibility and that it works fine. You may have different
opinions and they may be equally well, or even better founded. All I
do is to ask and invite the sage community to test this, maybe on some
older boxes. At least I got 1 additional successfull installation
(from Bill Hart at sage-windows  :D)!

I may quote:
"It works great on my Vista 32 bit machine. That's actually the first
time I've had a notebook running locally on a laptop! "

emil