On 1 December 2010 15:47, pang <pablo.ang...@uam.es> wrote:
> On 1 dic, 14:56, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>
>> What has notation got to do with my analogy.?  It's the correctness
>> that matters.
>
> For a paper, it is. I would never argue with an author about the
> particular notation she uses in a paper, provided it is consistent,
> but for a ticket, notation (syntax) is very important, since that is
> the syntax we'll all be using from then on.

Yes, but that's not the point I was making. I was making the point
that one is expected to check ones proof before expecting others to
check it.

> A journal is different from Sage in that the journal consists of
> independent pieces of text, while Sage is a cohesive piece of
> software. If Alice "publishes" any kind of correct code in Sage, this
> might conflict with code by Bob, something you don't see in a journal,
> where they can use incompatible notation.

Yes, I agree things have to fit together - and that includes they work
on other systems too. A bit of code that conflicts with other code is
bad.

> And anyway, reading submitted code is important for many other
> reasons. So an author writes correct code. It passes all tests. But
> maybe the

I'm not disputing that.

> In software, correctness is very low fence. In a project such as Sage,
> with lots of packages written in different languages, you're asking
> for trouble if you accept any code that passes all tests.

I agree! I've never suggested a positive review should be based solely
on something passing all tests on all platforms. In fact, I've just
commented on

that I felt one of the tests was inadequate - also see my email "When
is a test not a valid test?" on sage-devel.

It should also be noted that the best time to decide on what algorithm
is used, is not once the code is written. That should be decided at a
design stage, which takes place before coding begins.

For new contributors the situation is different. As a reviewer I would
not mind spending some time testing code a bit more than usual. But
for someone that regularly submits tickets, if they can't be bothered
to test them, then I'm personally not going to spend much time on a
ticket.