On 1 December 2010 13:37, pang <pablo.ang...@uam.es> wrote:
> On 1 dic, 13:59, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> Why should I waste my time checking the validity of code that the
>> author can't be bothered to check actually works?
>>
>> I feel it's the responsibility of the author to check the code works,
>> not the reviewer.
>>
>> If you submitted a proof to a maths journal, but wrote:
>>
>> "I can't be bothered to check my proof, but I'll address any errors
>> found by the reviewers"
>>
>> then I don't think the journal editor would even bother submitting the
>> paper to reviewers. It would be rejected immediately.
>>
>> Dave
>
> It's not the validity that you check. Many times the code works, but
> it can be done in different ways, more elegantly, faster, better
> integrated into Sage...

Sure worth discussing.

> Maybe just the name the author chose for the function is not the best.
> Maybe the way he uses the function is a little bit inconsistent with
> other similar tools. Stuff like this gets discussed on this list all
> the time: should I change the name of these functions? should this be
> a function or a method?

As you say, it gets done on the list. That could be raised on a ticket
too, though perhaps the list is a better place.  I'd have no objecting
to getting in a discussion about that.

> You analogy does not work for me: if you publish in the same journal
> that I do, but use an notation inconsistent with mine, it doesn't
> affect me in any way.

What has notation got to do with my analogy.?  It's the correctness
that matters. There are of course limits on the notation. If I wrote

Dave