>> As for build time, why not drop building documentation at all and let
>> users choose whether to build it later and in what form? I used
>> patches from http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9128 for
>> several month and every time after upgrade I had to rebuild the whole
>> documentation after pushing them anyway. Although this is not a
>> typical situation, of course...

+1 too. Plus the 1-page-per-function documentation Minh wrote is to me
much much better than what we have now, and having it only available
on internet makes it harder to work with : not very easy to deal with
two forms at the same time, and to write patches affecting how the
online version appears.

Nathann