On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 1/31/11 5:49 AM, Timothy Clemans wrote:
>

>> I think the first step is making it so one can easily edit the
>> notebook if they built Sage from source. The test notebook would
>> automatically be launched. Once you've launched the notebook you
>> shouldn't have to touch the command line.
>

> That's an interesting opportunity.  Maybe the /src url, which apparently
> currently shows the source tree, could have an "edit" link, like google code
> or github does.  We already ship (an old version of) codemirror. The edit
> link could load the file into codemirror, allow an edit, check in the
> changes, and then restart Sage.  Edits on the notebook repository are
> immediately live, and edits on the sage library would just require kicking
> off a sage -br in the background (until some current projects I've been
> hearing noises about fix that so that you don't have to do sage -br)
>
> It sounds possible, and almost immediately implementable for the notebook.
>  I suppose one nontrivial thing is maybe having some sort of user permission
> to edit the notebook, and implementing the copying of the file and checking
> in of changes (I certainly wouldn't want just anybody editing the public
> sagenb.org notebook live!)

Something like google code already lets you post patches, and it
shouldn't be too hard to have a buildbot going in the background
picking it up. For Python code the "build" overhead is minimal, and as
long as you're not editing element.pxd, the feedback time shouldn't be
too bad. (I wouldn't recommend rolling our own though unless we had
to.) Editing the notebook itself online might be a bit dicey, but
being able to swap out the backend is totally feasible (and something
we should add to the patchbot). There's also the question of how
little of Sage we could get away with copying to have many
simultaneous users editing code. I wonder if a de-duping filesystem
would be an easy solution. And for editing docstrings, adding
examples, etc. it's a real shame one can't do that online.

- Robert