On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 02/ 1/11 08:50 AM, David Roe wrote:
> Some of the problems seem to be firmly in the hands of people who have
> written code in the Sage library, which simply does not work properly on
> Cygwin. They should be able to sort that out.
> What is obvious to me is how close the correlation is between Cygwin issues
> and code I'd previously identified as being very badly written.

The situation might be clearer to you if you spent time working on the
Cygwin port.  So far, you've spent infinitely more time (at least
several hours) complaining about the Cygwin port than working on it (0
hours?).

> I can't help feeling William was unwise to start Psage before the Cygwin
> port of Sage was complete.

It would be unwise if my *only* goal in life was the stated Sage
mission statement.   I have to instead balance my own personal goals
(and my own personal plan) with what is needed for Sage development.
  The Cygwin port currently has nothing to do with my fulltime job
description or any of the grants I have.

I think other Sage developers are also best served by finding a
balance between their own personal goals and plans, and what is needed
to move Sage development forward.      When there is some overlap, we
both benefit.    When there isn't, no criticism (at least not from
me)!

> To me at least, it seems the vast majority of people ware working on what
> interests them, and those changes get put into Sage, without any discussion
> of what's actually needed in Sage, and what should be written as an external
> program.
>
>  * No documented plan
>  * No real documented estimates of time scales
>  * No status reports for the project as a whole.

If you think a plan as you describe it for overall Sage development is
so important, why don't you make one?

 -- William

--
William Stein