On 3/1/11 1:37 PM, Fredrik Johansson wrote:
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Jason Grout<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>  wrote:
On 3/1/11 3:58 AM, Fredrik Johansson wrote:

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Francois Bissey
<francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz>    wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 at 01:26PM -0800, jtyard wrote:

I'm running sage 4.6.1 and cannot use plot after loading mpmath.
Namely, running

from mpmath import *
plot(lambda t: sin(2*pi*t), [1, 4])

produces no output in the notebook.  I'm loading mpmath because I need
to make plots of theta functions, and the page

http://mpmath.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/build/functions/elliptic.html#
jacobi-theta-functions

tells me to first run "from mpmath import *" to gain access to jtheta.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but I do see that mpmath has its own
plot function, and your "from mpmath import *" line overwrites Sage's
usual plot function with mpmath's.

This works:

sage: import mpmath
sage: plot(lambda t: mpmath.sin(2*pi*t), (1,4))

So I guess the question is, why isn't mpmath's plot function working?

Interestingly mpmath-0.16 and 0.17 have support for matplotlib so
presumably
those can use matplotlib for plot.

mpmath basically justs calls pylab.show(), which doesn't do anything
in the notebook (nor in the Sage interpreter). We could hack mpmath in
Sage to be more clever. Alternatively, perhaps a better solution would
to make pylab.show() work in Sage. Is this feasible?

If you compile with SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI (and you have the prerequisites so
that one of the GUI backends is built), then I believe pylab.show() works
just fine.

Ah, nice. Still, it would be nice if matplotlib could be used to
generate plots directly in the notebook, by default.

All that needs to happen is pylab.show() generate an image file. The notebook will then pick up that image file and display it automatically.

Thanks,

Jason