Le 15/03/2011 22:47, Francois Bissey a écrit :
 > On 14 March 2011 16:40, Julien PUYDT <julien.pu...@laposte.net> wrote:
 > > Le 14/03/2011 14:12, David Kirkby a écrit :
 > >> Perhaps you can find value of n, such that gamma(n) gives an exact
 > >> integer result. If that happens on other CPUs too, then I suggest the
 > >> argument to the doctest is changed.
 > >
 > > The solution of finding a "good" integer is fragile : it will break
 > > anytime wind will change direction.
 > >
 > > Snark on #sage-devel
 >
 > I take your point it is "fragile". But it might well be the simplest
 > solution. IMHO, it is probably the best solution.

Julien said that according to IEEE 15 (or 16) digits should be precise
enough.
Why not test n(gamma1(float(6)),15)? Since we are looking at numerical
results
with a limited precision it makes sense to limit the test to the
precision we
are sure of.
So Julien what would be the result for the above expression?

Let's see :
sage: gamma(6)
120
sage: gamma1(float(6))
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/jpuydt/sage-4.6.2/<ipython console> in <module>()

NameError: name 'gamma1' is not defined
sage: gamma(float(6))
119.99999999999997
sage: n(gamma(float(6)),15)
120.0
sage: gamma(6.0)
120.000000000000

Things don't look that bad...

The root of the matter is really that the test is wrong : it tests for a strict equality while it should only test for appropriate closeness.

Even the idea of checking n(gamma(float(6)),15) is wrong : on my netbook, that is correct, because the result of the computation has 15 correct digits ; but on my laptop, gamma(float(6)) has a much better precision, so checking only the 15 first digits is insufficient.

It would be more sensible to check that gamma(float(6))-120.0 is smaller than the right number of digits (minus the digits of the integer part...) ; isn't such information available?

Snark on #sage-devel