Le 16/03/2011 08:55, Robert Bradshaw a écrit :
We can, for example, call gsl rather than libc. Or we can special case
this processor and/or set of values.

Whatever process is used to compute the value, the fact is that the
result has *no* rounding error on all other platforms. This platform
produces inferior results, and I'd call it a bug. Let's fix/work
around it, not mask it.

Sorry to tell it so bluntly, but what you say doesn't make that much sense : the result isn't inferior. Sage is asked a result with a "long double" precision, and it gives back a result with a "long double" precision.

The expectation that "long double" is *strictly* better better than "double" is wrong.

See also my other mail where I give the results of other computations and suggest looking at how correct the result is depending on its type.

Snark on #sage-devel