On 8 April 2011 21:17, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Tim Lahey <tim.la...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  Or are you just arguing that XCode is
>> necessary because it's an easy way to a binary gcc.
>
> I don't know how to install GCC on OS X, except by installing XCode.
> There is a lot more to GCC than "just a binary".  There are lots of system
> headers, development libraries, etc.   It is likely illegal to
> redistribute these
> without Apple's permission.   These come with XCode.

> William Stein

In which case, it does seem you need Xcode - I would agree.

Is there any way we can easily detect the presence of Xcode? Would a
system without Xcode have /usr/include/math.h and/or /usr/lib/libm.* ?
If so, we could check this is the prereq script. I recently added a
test for the maths library.

It would be nice to know what version of Xcode is needed. That should
be documented in the installation guide.

Like Tim, I don't really have a problem with Apple charging $4.99.
Development tools for other UNIX platform do tend to cost a *lot* more
- at least a couple of order of magnitude more.

At the end of the day, someone choses to buy an Apple which is a
commercial UNIX system. I know some will say some people can't afford
$4.99, but people on that sort of budget will probably buy a modestly
priced x86 PC and not an Apple.

Yes, Apple could start charging a lot for the development tools, as
Sun used to, and IBM and HP still do. That's a chance you take using a
commerical operating system.  (It must however be said that both HP-UX
and AIX come with the system headers and libraries, so one can install
GCC from a binary. One only has to pay for the HP or IBM compilers. If
one wants GCC a binary can be installed free.).

Dave