On 7 April 2011 02:52, Felix Lawrence <fe...@physics.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 7:19 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> There seems to be a growing body of opinion that Clang
>>
>> http://clang.llvm.org/
>>
>> will replace gcc as the compiler of choice for open-source projects - not
>> just
>> on OS X.
> I've heard this too.

I believe it's only a matter of time. The Sage community will have to
sort out a lot of issues if we want to build Sage with Clang. (Many
parts of Sage ignores the CC and CXX variables, and those that do not
are often written in a pseudo-C or pseudo-C++ which I doubt Clang will
accept.

>> I also noticed that Xcode is no longer free, though it only costs $4.99.
> You can still download Xcode 3 with a free account or install it from
> the OS X installation disks... for now.

That was not obvious to me when I looked. But I did not look too hard
it must be said, as I don't have a Mac.

> We (the open source community
> in general) should be concerned that in the near future, the only way
> to get compilers for mac might no longer be free.  AFAICT all other
> sources of gcc for mac rely on Apple's gcc already being installed.

Unlike Linux, OS X is a certified UNiX operating system which is not
free, so one might say the fact the compiler is not free is not
surprising.

The same issue arises on both IBM's AIX and HP''s, HP-UX. These are
all commercial operating systems for which the compilers have to be
purchased. One should also note in the case of AIX and HP-UX, the
compilers cost a *lot* more. I don't know the prices, but I'd be
surprised if any compiler was under $1000.  If you buy a commercial
operating system, that's a price  you have to expect to pay I guess.

It used to be the same way on Solaris. too - the compiler had to be
paid for, though now its free.

Of course, one difference here is that IBM and HP have written those
compilers, so there is more justification in charging for them.

Macs are nice machines, but not really the machine I would expect
someone to purchase if they were strapped for cash.  A generic x86
machine will give you more performance for your money.

I was quite impressed with my brothers iPhone 4 (despite the dumb
antenna problem) and considered perhaps buying one. But when I
realized that Apple control what I can put on the phone, I decided not
to bother.

> For many people, this would make Sage no longer free - it would
> effectively cost $5 and none of that money goes to Sage.

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. We can give them a Sage binary.

They can I assume download a binary for gcc and put that on their Mac
can they not? I know in the case of AIX and HP-UX, one can get binary
versions of gcc from various sources.

Dave