Hi

Reply from bugs.python.org attached.
I guess sage-python should get the same patch?

   This is not related to PEP 3149 failures.  Ubuntu 11.04 introduced multiarch
   directories for the underlying shared libraries used to link to the Python
   extension modules.  Unpatched, Python's setup.py does not add the necessary
   multiarch directories to the search paths, so some extensions won't build.

   Ubuntu 11.04's Python packages have been patched to add the correct search
   paths.  Upstream Python 2.7, 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 have also been patched to
   include the correct search paths, but fixed versions have not been released
   upstream yet.  Python 2.6 won't be patched.

   See issue 11715 for details.

Though 2.7.1 upstream also failed for me... and I still don't
get how the setup.py fixes configure make installs -- I thought
that was only used for python setup.py build...

But here is http://bugs.python.org/issue11715
http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/bd0f73a9538e (for python 2.7)

And Ubuntu 2.6 patches:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/python2.6_2.6.6-6ubuntu7.diff.gz