Hi David,

On 24 Apr., 11:19, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> Is there a way of forcing Sphinx to reject these, so we find them? A C
> compiler
> should not allow one to compile code that has syntax errors, so why should
> Sphinx?

Sphinx does produce warnings. But sometimes I get the impression that
it is not *always* raising the warnings. E.g., at #9976, some warnings
only came up after applying the original patch versions, although the
syntax error itself was present without the patches.

Moreover, the warning messages are often not helpful.

However, things like
"""
EXAMPLE:

     sage: bla
"""
are no syntax error: They are valid, but they are not typeset in the
intended way. So, *refusing* it would not be the right answer, IMO.

But I think it would be easy to write a skript that searches for
certain typical patterns (like
"""
INPUT:
   - <some text>
""")
and suggests to replace  it by
"""
INPUT:

- <some text>
"""

That would be in the same spirit as the coverage skript, that does not
refuse things, but points to potential issues.

Best regards,
Simon