Hi Dag,

On Wed, 4 May 2011 00:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
dagss <d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no> wrote:

> I don't really have a say in this, but I've given this a lot of
> thought since I decided to drop Sage as my scientific Python
> distribution a year ago and have been searching for a new one ever
> since.
>
> My problem with Gentoo in general is that it solves the problems that
> SPKGs have by adding complexity (in the same way any Linux distro
> does).
>
> I much prefer something like Nix (http://nixos.org), where Eelco
> Dolstra instead had a new, brilliant idea which just makes simple
> things powerful. I wrote these notes up on using Nix for a scientific
> Python distribution (including Sage):
>
> https://github.com/dagss/scidist/blob/master/ideas.rst
>
> (I may be interested in putting in work in this direction...)

Robert posted a link to your notes here at some point. I also saw the
thread on the gentoo-alt mailing list where you asked about using
prefix for a scientific software distribution. Especially after reading
your notes, I seriously considered using Nix as well.

Nix is based on a beautiful idea, but it doesn't really reduce the
complexity. We want more features from the build system, this will
naturally add complexity. When I first started out using Gentoo, I
thought it was a beautiful and simple extension of the BSD ports system.

I admit that I am biased since I am already very familiar with Gentoo.
But I like the fact that build scripts are written in bash. Knowing
that it has been field tested and most of the quirks that might come up
in package management are already worked out also makes me lean toward
Gentoo. I am willing to spend time on this, but I don't want to spend
time fixing a package manager.

The items you list in the "Needed work" section of your notes already
look like writing a package manager from scratch. The last ticket
(#6) about soft dependencies shows that the Nix approach of installing
every package in a separate directory and linking directly to the files
in that directory is not really useful either.

BTW, you could use the gentoo package manager to replicate a previous
version of your tree with using binary packages (you can make these
even after you are done installing the ebuild). There seems to be code
for something like this already:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Demerge

> But of course, Gentoo has a scientific community etc. etc. which Nix
> sort of lacks, so I can definitely see Gentoo making more sense for
> you.

This is the strongest argument that makes Gentoo attractive. It
justifies the effort to switch to their package format. Since then, we
won't have to worry about manually updating spkg's ourselves.

Francois is always reporting how a more recent version of a package
works perfectly with Sage. This is simply because Gentoo gives him
those packages for free on his sage-on-gentoo install.

I would be very happy to see a discussion about the pros and cons of
this approach. I know I sort of skipped over the SEP step Georg
wanted. :)

Thank you for the feedback.

Burcin