On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:49 AM, dagss <d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no> wrote:

> On Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:42:59 AM UTC+2, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM, dagss <d.s.se...@astro.uio.no> wrote:
>> > I don't really have a say in this, but I've given this a lot of thought
>> > since I decided to drop Sage as my scientific Python distribution a year
>> > ago
>> > and have been searching for a new one ever since.
>>
>> Just curious --- why did you drop it? Is it described at ideas.rst below?
>
> Well, I figured that making SPKG's wasted too much of my time, and that I
> didn't any of the benefits I'd expect (like clean upgrading etc.). I guess I
> just discovered Sage's premise: The point is to simplify things for
> end-users, not the developers (and the distinction between the two is too
> high). As I don't care too much about distributing my software to others (I
> don't have any peer cosmologists using Python), the conclusion was I should
> stop writing SPKG's and rather just easy_install what I missed.
> Then I realized that EPD had a lot of packages that I missed (and had to
> manually install) in Sage, so I switched to patching my EPD install instead
> of my Sage install.
> I'm not happy about the situation, but the benefits of current systems are
> too small to warrant the investment. Hence scidist/ideas.rst, which is what
> I'd like to have in a system to make it more than worth the investment of
> starting to use it + lowering the investment necessary.

Right. The same reasons why I started Qsnake --- I was spending too
much time creating SPKG, updating it and so on. In Qsnake, all I have
to do is to push a new change to the package to github, and do

qsnake -d
qsnake -f install package

And that's it. It automatically figures out that something has
changed, creates the spkg on the fly and saves it to spkg/standard/,
just like in Sage.

If you are the only one using it --- do you need binary packages? I
simply decided to stick with the Sage model to just use source Spkg
packages, and possibly create one binary of the whole thing. This is a
model, that one person can manage to do.

Ondrej