> I get the same horrible timings (around 305 microseconds) on Linux as
> well, so it's not some trivial setting issue.
> From your benchmark, the problem must be either the version of R,
> Python, or rpy2 that we
> ship with Sage.  All are older than the versions you're testing above.
>   I'm very glad that
> there is some future version of rpy2 where it isn't so slow; thanks
> for letting me know.
> I hope somebody will update rpy2 (and/or) in Sage.

This is backed up due to

1) the usual lack of time by all involved, and

2) several issues with R build that people seem to want to do first.

See for instance http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8274,
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9906, and
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9201.

With regards to the last one, I'd love it if drkirkby or someone with
Solaris access can check whether the specific problem there still
exists, just for information - since the last real update was a year
ago...

- kcrisman