2011/4/9 Francois Bissey <francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz>:
> It turns out that warnings are not visible to the end users anymore.
> This is according to the python documentation:
> http://docs.python.org/library/warnings.html
> Section 27.6.5 to be precise.
> Actually more explicit in http://docs.python.org/using/cmdline.html :
> Starting from Python 2.7, DeprecationWarning and its descendants are ignored
> by default. The -Wd option can be used to re-enable them.
>
> Passing -Wd to python I get to see the warnings again but to see the
> warnings
> globally we'll need to add:
> PYTHONWARNINGS=default
> to sage-env this is I hope harmless for 2.6 but useful for 2.7.

  I am just ignoring doctest failures due to it expecting a warning
but no warning generated.

  But I am almost ashamed of myself by adding this to
sage/all.py:

import gc
gc.set_debug(gc.DEBUG_SAVEALL)

 I still need to run a full sage -testall with that to see if
there are any remaining crashes. Last one I was debugging
was rooted in
sage/libs/singular/groebner_strategy.pyx:GroebnerStrategy:__dealloc__
where the call id_Delete(&self._strat.Shdl, self._parent._ring)
would pass "garbage" to the related singular function.

  Maybe for the people more familiar with sage internals
it would be easier to figure out why python thinks that
memory is unreachable, and it can garbage collect it.

  Disabling gc has a very bad side effect, e.g. I am
testing a sage rebuild, and sphynx is already using
almost 3Gb of memory while generating documentation.

> Francois

Paulo