> 2011/4/9 Francois Bissey <francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz>:
> > It turns out that warnings are not visible to the end users anymore.
> > This is according to the python documentation:
> > http://docs.python.org/library/warnings.html
> > Section 27.6.5 to be precise.
> > Actually more explicit in http://docs.python.org/using/cmdline.html :
> > Starting from Python 2.7, DeprecationWarning and its descendants are
> > ignored by default. The -Wd option can be used to re-enable them.
> >
> > Passing -Wd to python I get to see the warnings again but to see the
> > warnings
> > globally we'll need to add:
> > PYTHONWARNINGS=default
> > to sage-env this is I hope harmless for 2.6 but useful for 2.7.
>
>   I am just ignoring doctest failures due to it expecting a warning
> but no warning generated.

Hi Paulo,

we have move a bit from this hack now:

>   But I am almost ashamed of myself by adding this to
> sage/all.py:
>
> import gc
> gc.set_debug(gc.DEBUG_SAVEALL)
>
>  I still need to run a full sage -testall with that to see if
> there are any remaining crashes. Last one I was debugging
> was rooted in
> sage/libs/singular/groebner_strategy.pyx:GroebnerStrategy:__dealloc__
> where the call id_Delete(&self._strat.Shdl, self._parent._ring)
> would pass "garbage" to the related singular function.
>
>   Maybe for the people more familiar with sage internals
> it would be easier to figure out why python thinks that
> memory is unreachable, and it can garbage collect it.
>
>   Disabling gc has a very bad side effect, e.g. I am
> testing a sage rebuild, and sphynx is already using
> almost 3Gb of memory while generating documentation.

Martin (our "chief sage-on-gentoo" debugger of glibc fame) has
tracked down that one to cython:
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/51#issuecomment-1181259
and we now have a trac ticket for it:
so far it is not encouraging.

I consider this particular issue to be a "canary in a coal mine" case.
It is revealed by the upgrade to python-2.7 but it is just waiting to
bite people on 2.6, in fact there are indication in the code that
similar issues have been worked around band aid style in the code
before.

Francois

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.