The view from my bike shed (not to make light of Simon initiating this
discussion).

I read sage-devel and sage-support on the web.  No email.  So the
amount of traffic is almost totally irrelevant to me.  The more the
better.  Thoughtful, descriptive subject lines would be my only
requested enhancement for sage-devel (which is true most of the time).

Like Simon, I would dearly love to see more "abstract nonsense" from
sage-algebra, sage-nt and sage-combinat-devel appear for a wider
sudience on sage-devel.  And I wouldn't mind learning more number
theory incidentially.  I do think sage-combinat-devel serves a second
purpose as a place to manage their server, patch queue, etc, but maybe
that group would be inclined to move development discussion to sage-
devel and keep management on sage-combinat-devel?

I think it would be good to move sage-marketing onto sage-devel.  The
readership has a high intersection, the subject is not
incomprehensible (well, on second thought...), and it would be good
for the marginally-interested to be aware of efforts and/or resources
in this area, and traffic is very low.  There is often a temptation to
cross-post, witness Jason's recent quarter-page flier.

I think of sage-edu as a safe place for *users* with a specialized
interest and think it serves a valuable purpose as is.  For whatever
reason, sage-release strikes me as good use of a standalone list, and
I could imagine sysadmins using it like a  sage-announce  on steroids
- early warnings of new releases.  It wouldn't bother me if it morphed
into a sage-build, but the previous point about sage-windows being
useful in the future is well-taken.

Thanks to Simon for starting this.

OK, time to take one of my bikes out of the shed (garage) for a
ride...

Rob