On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:46:03 PM UTC-7, Tom wrote:

> +1 to .file.py, since it'll hide the file from directory listings.

I'm not sure I want to hide the file.  I don't actually use xxx.sage files
much, but when I do, I usually just delete the py file right away, and if
it's hidden, that's harder to do.  I think of hidden files as ones that I
don't want to see but I want to keep for a while, not temporary files like
these preparsed ones.  Do people like to keep the preparsed ones around for
a while?

Another option: should we by default delete the preparsed file automatically
after using it?  That is, if you do "sage file.sage", then
"file_preparsed.py" (or something like that) would be created, then fed into
sage-python, and then deleted at the end.  If you wanted to keep the file,
you could run "sage -preparse file.sage" on its own.

Or I suppose we could store the preparsed files in ~/.sage/preparsed/, with
filenames modified to reflect the full path of the original file (so you can
have different files "script.sage" in several different directories, and the
preparser will create different .py files for each one).

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Felix Salfelder <fe...@salfelder.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:55:32PM -0700, John H Palmieri wrote:
> >> Should "sage-preparse" name the preparsed file something safer, in order
> >> prevent name clashes like this?  For example, turn FILE.sage into
> >> FILE_preparsed.py?
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > while You are at it:
> > preparsed_FILE.py or even simply .FILE.py would make tab completion
> > happy. (who has not accidentally edited FILE.py instead of FILE.sage
> > more than once?)

I can see your point, but there is also virtue in having the preparsed file
listed alphabetically next to the original file.

--
John