Are there any spkgs elsewhere in Sage which require libjpeg?  If so,
what version of it?  I know that scipy has an imread function; anyone
know what does it do for JPEG?

Again, installing libjpeg.dylib and/or libpng.dylib into $SAGE_LOCAL/
lib has bad side effects on OS X, due to the use of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
in the Sage framework overall.  So, maybe make it an optional spkg,
but having it as a required or standard spkg would be bad.

Bill