> > Again, installing libjpeg.dylib and/or libpng.dylib into $SAGE_LOCAL/
> > lib has bad side effects on OS X, due to the use of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > in the Sage framework overall.  So, maybe make it an optional spkg,
> > but having it as a required or standard spkg would be bad.
>
> We already install libpng.dylib standard in all copies of Sage on OS
> X.  There were issues, but they got sorted out a while ago.
>
>  -- William

The reason this works on OS X is that the Sage version of the library
is called libpng12.dylib, while the system version is libpng.dylib.
This numbering is now built-in to libpng, but not to the jpeg
libraries, so the same process won't protect you.

Basically, you can't safely override the library names you find in
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Resources/, which are  libjp2.dylib,
libjpeg.dylib, libopenexr.dylib, libpng.dylib, libradience.dylib,
libtiff.dylib, and libgif.dylib.  By "override", I mean have libraries
with the same name (differing only in case) prior to these libraries
on the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.  The version of libpng in /System is 1.4.3
on both my Leopard system and my Lion system.  The version in
sage-4.7.2 is 1.2.35.  But the library name is different, so there's
no problem.