Hi there,

I would like to know what's the status of the function field package
development in Sage, i.e. this ticket:

I would like to know when is the tentative date of the release (though
I think I can download the patch and install it myself) and to know
briefly to what extend this package compares with magma.  (I assume I
might find out if I dig into the code, but is there a documentations
of all functions)

I'm starting to seriously code for my thesis and I would like to wash
my hands off of the closed source guilt. So, I thought , in the
process, I might be able to implement some of the functions that I
need (like finding the fixed field of an automorphism (last time I
checked , Magma was only doing it for number fields) and then add it
to sage.

But for now, it seems that beside that general ticket there's no other
specific ticket targeting specific task related to function field. So
should I contact the package developer directly?it seems that there's
a  team of developers working on this package, I would like to know
how I can join the team. (Should I write directly to William Stein).

Sorry, it became too many questions.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Syd

P.S. I already have a trac account and saw the contributing video.