A bit off-topic, but I could easily see this could be relevant to Sage at some point. In fact, you can argue it was over the GMP/MPIR issues.

I've been looking for a free linux distribution which is compatible with Redhat. Centros is one, but so is Oracle too, though of course Oracle charge for suppport.

What I found interesting is that Oracle are providing indemnification against intellectual property infringement claims by other companies if you have an Oracle support contract.

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/ubl-indemnify-066152.pdf

So if you use Oracle Linux, which is based on Redhat, and anyone tries to sue you for intellectual property infringement, Oracle will take on the case.

Oracle are a lot bigger company than most, so have the resources to do this. Oracle are a lot bigger than Redhat.