On Jan 13, 6:05 pm, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is a substantial mis-reading of the document.

No, it's a mi-sunderstanding by you - possibly due to less than ideal
wording by me.

> The indemnification has to do only with "covered programs furnished by
> Oracle".

Yes

> So if someone says "we are suing you because you are running Oracle's
> unix and we
> have a patent that covers that"   then Oracle will defend itself, and
> incidentally,
> you.

Yes, if you have an Oracle service contract.

> If someone comes after a Sage component that was not supplied by
> Oracle, or comes
> after Sage because it is using UNIX -- but not under Oracle license--
> then forget about

Agreed. I never intended to imply that.

> it.  Microsoft has incidentally claimed that UNIX infringes on over
> 200 Microsoft patents.

It does not surprise me. But if you use Oracle license, pay for an
Oracle support contract, then Oracle would take on Microsoft if
Microsoft come after the individual.

I think the past some big companies have threatened the end-users of
competitive products. That makes the end-user worried, so rather than
buy the cheaper alternative (for example Oracle), they pay more for
the original (for example Redhat).

> I am not a lawyer, though.

No, me neither, but its obvious Oracle are not going to take on the
legal costs of defending you against claims that have nothing to do
with their products.

Dave