On 1/16/12 4:53 PM, François Bissey wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:36:50 jason-s...@creativetrax.com wrote:
Hi everyone,

We don't apply any customizations to twisted anymore; we just install it
straight as a python package.  I think it would be easier to just
include it in the sagenb spkg as a dependency (like flask, etc.).  That
would mean that we automatically get the latest twisted every time the
sagenb spkg is updated, instead of having to maintain a separate twisted
spkg.  Does anyone have any objections to removing the twisted spkg and
including twisted into the sagenb spkg?

Please vote:

[ ] Yes, remove the twisted spkg and include twisted in the sagenb spkg
as a dependency

[ ] No, keep the twisted spkg as a separate spkg

I generally not in favor of spkg inside other spkg. On the other hands sagenb
is pretty much independent of the rest of sage and twisted is only used in the
notebook as far as I know.

twisted won't be a full spkg inside of an spkg. Already, the sagenb spkg includes a number of dependencies, and twisted would just be added to those (like flask, various flask extensions, pytz, etc.)

It would be trivial to make a "bare" sagenb spkg that doesn't include any dependencies, but relies on them being installed already (or downloads them from the internet on-the-fly).

So:
If twisted is only used by the notebook include it in sagenb, make its
maintenance the sole responsibility of sagenb. Otherwise keep it separate.

Yes, this would be mean that twisted is the sole responsibility of the sagenb project.

Mind you that including twisted in sagenb will hurt in sage-on-gentoo because
if we use the spkg to distribute it we will waste bandwith since we use
twisted provided by the system.

Would the above "bare" spkg help you? At one point, we also had two spkgs---sagenb and sagenb-dependencies. Would you vote returning to that two-spkg model?

Thanks,

Jason